"The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time" - Abraham Lincoln
You should know that life hasn't been the most kind to myself and people around me of late. I see a lot of pain in the eyes of my friends and acquaintances, and even though the kinds of issues they face may be miles apart, it has the same effect on us all. Humans are fragile creatures, and all we try to do is provide and embrace the other's strength, both at the same time. We all help each other stand tall in many ways, and some of us are just broken down instead. But one way or another, we all rise again.
A strange thing happened today. There was this girl, once upon a time. I won't say much about her, but she was a good friend. The kind of friend that can help you get through tough days and sometimes even sleepless nights. We'd had our own share of drama in the recent past, and of course, we weren't on talking terms anymore. Nothing major, but I guess we sort of just outgrew each other's company. She was in my class, and there was no way of avoiding eye contact on a single day. We were just minding our own business today, her and I. And she's in-charge of everything, so I guess she's always on the run, trying her best to not let any person who had the slightest hopes from her down. And she was good at it, probably the best. She came back to class, books bundled up in the cradle of her arms, waiting to collapse on the floor at any second. And it was chaos. The absence of the staff went in agreement with conspiring two-faced sociopaths who loved sharing with each other what they thought of every breath that was spent in their environment, and how many of the same the breath-bearers might have remaining. Noise was trying its best to tare eardrums in every corner, and the lurid view of the classroom was a little too much for someone as simple-minded as her to take in. There I sat on the first bench, staring at the sickened expression that her face bore.
"Guys, I have an announcement to make. Listen up" she said, as boldly as she could. I could sense the annoyance in her tone.
Not a single speck of dust would budge.
"Guys! Listen up, please!" she exclaimed this time, as loud as she could go, but it didn't make much of a difference.
"Guys. Just shut up and listen to the announcement!"
The entire room dropped dead. Ninety sets of eyes were fixated on mine, and they looked like they couldn't dare move. I found myself standing at my place, palms forced tightly onto the table. I don't know why I'd just done that. I guess I didn't appreciate noise much either, or maybe it was because it bothered me how annoyed she seemed. Maybe I thought this would make her day a little easier. She stole the spotlight from me before everyone realised how awkward it had got, and made her announcement anyway. I drifted my eyes in her direction once she was done, and she saw me look at her. She smiled at me, with some amount of gratitude, and walked away.
I don't know how I felt about that. I spent the day thinking about how it really wasn't that hard to understand human beings; they just look for some love or kindness every now and then. They all just have different ways of portraying it and reacting to it. And as far as relationships go, it's not about how much time you've spent in the other's company, but it's about each moment that's worth remembering. Each memory develops a dagger of it's own after the relationships fall apart, but that's a risk worth taking. And life doesn't end with the relationship; a bond is never that fragile. There is always co-existence, and you will not stop seeing the person's face unless you curl up under your bed with a blanket on and the lights turned off, waiting for someone to be your hero, when it is really only you who can save yourself. You don't have to be vindictive towards the person. You don't have to go out of your way to try and make things right either, because sometimes, time is all that is required for reconciliation. No additional efforts, suffocation, crying or forced laughter. Just patience. People take time to heal, and it could take hours, days, months or years. But all you can tell yourself while waiting is that they will come around. Hope that one day, it will all be fine. Don't expect anything at all, as expectations have different degrees of operation. Expectations are something created by your mind, while hope is the nature of the primal spirit. Maybe someday you'll see the person smile at you while they walk by, and maybe a few days later, a text saying 'Goodnight' could actually help you have sweet dreams. Maybe you can wave at them one day from afar, and smile back at them when the smile at you, or maybe a couple of months down the line, the two of you could share a good laugh over a silly joke.
Time works wonders, but it needs time. You've given in so much, so why give up now? The hope that one day it will all be fine is enough to help you not just survive, but thrive. And maybe one day when they finally come through, you'll think back to this moment and be glad that you waited. Maybe one day, there'll be a random scream from somewhere to stop the chaos and give you your voice back.
Maybe one day you'll dance with time, and find them dancing with you.
You should know that life hasn't been the most kind to myself and people around me of late. I see a lot of pain in the eyes of my friends and acquaintances, and even though the kinds of issues they face may be miles apart, it has the same effect on us all. Humans are fragile creatures, and all we try to do is provide and embrace the other's strength, both at the same time. We all help each other stand tall in many ways, and some of us are just broken down instead. But one way or another, we all rise again.
A strange thing happened today. There was this girl, once upon a time. I won't say much about her, but she was a good friend. The kind of friend that can help you get through tough days and sometimes even sleepless nights. We'd had our own share of drama in the recent past, and of course, we weren't on talking terms anymore. Nothing major, but I guess we sort of just outgrew each other's company. She was in my class, and there was no way of avoiding eye contact on a single day. We were just minding our own business today, her and I. And she's in-charge of everything, so I guess she's always on the run, trying her best to not let any person who had the slightest hopes from her down. And she was good at it, probably the best. She came back to class, books bundled up in the cradle of her arms, waiting to collapse on the floor at any second. And it was chaos. The absence of the staff went in agreement with conspiring two-faced sociopaths who loved sharing with each other what they thought of every breath that was spent in their environment, and how many of the same the breath-bearers might have remaining. Noise was trying its best to tare eardrums in every corner, and the lurid view of the classroom was a little too much for someone as simple-minded as her to take in. There I sat on the first bench, staring at the sickened expression that her face bore.
"Guys, I have an announcement to make. Listen up" she said, as boldly as she could. I could sense the annoyance in her tone.
Not a single speck of dust would budge.
"Guys! Listen up, please!" she exclaimed this time, as loud as she could go, but it didn't make much of a difference.
"Guys. Just shut up and listen to the announcement!"
The entire room dropped dead. Ninety sets of eyes were fixated on mine, and they looked like they couldn't dare move. I found myself standing at my place, palms forced tightly onto the table. I don't know why I'd just done that. I guess I didn't appreciate noise much either, or maybe it was because it bothered me how annoyed she seemed. Maybe I thought this would make her day a little easier. She stole the spotlight from me before everyone realised how awkward it had got, and made her announcement anyway. I drifted my eyes in her direction once she was done, and she saw me look at her. She smiled at me, with some amount of gratitude, and walked away.
I don't know how I felt about that. I spent the day thinking about how it really wasn't that hard to understand human beings; they just look for some love or kindness every now and then. They all just have different ways of portraying it and reacting to it. And as far as relationships go, it's not about how much time you've spent in the other's company, but it's about each moment that's worth remembering. Each memory develops a dagger of it's own after the relationships fall apart, but that's a risk worth taking. And life doesn't end with the relationship; a bond is never that fragile. There is always co-existence, and you will not stop seeing the person's face unless you curl up under your bed with a blanket on and the lights turned off, waiting for someone to be your hero, when it is really only you who can save yourself. You don't have to be vindictive towards the person. You don't have to go out of your way to try and make things right either, because sometimes, time is all that is required for reconciliation. No additional efforts, suffocation, crying or forced laughter. Just patience. People take time to heal, and it could take hours, days, months or years. But all you can tell yourself while waiting is that they will come around. Hope that one day, it will all be fine. Don't expect anything at all, as expectations have different degrees of operation. Expectations are something created by your mind, while hope is the nature of the primal spirit. Maybe someday you'll see the person smile at you while they walk by, and maybe a few days later, a text saying 'Goodnight' could actually help you have sweet dreams. Maybe you can wave at them one day from afar, and smile back at them when the smile at you, or maybe a couple of months down the line, the two of you could share a good laugh over a silly joke.
Time works wonders, but it needs time. You've given in so much, so why give up now? The hope that one day it will all be fine is enough to help you not just survive, but thrive. And maybe one day when they finally come through, you'll think back to this moment and be glad that you waited. Maybe one day, there'll be a random scream from somewhere to stop the chaos and give you your voice back.
Maybe one day you'll dance with time, and find them dancing with you.
No comments:
Post a Comment
If my neurons are drunk enough to make me write this post, they're definitely drunk enough to appreciate your criticism. Shoot.